Mr. Stevens' Portfolio

Live, Laugh, Learn

Music Blog #1

This inquiry process has to lead me to believe I was never taught music as a child to any degree despite the fact I remember messing around with a recorder in elementary school.

My respect for music has grown vastly as I learn more and more about it. I have always been a fan of music and have admired its ability to intensify my experiences of happiness, sadness, love, and so forth. I have begun to learn the basics of reading music. This has been hard but I am starting to understand it more and more. I have been very thankful for the guidance and teaching of Anita, she has been realistic with the workload that is manageable for a beginner to take on, as many students in our class are adding to their minimal knowledge (including myself).

My music inquiry of the ukulele has been fun but very challenging. I admire the sound that the instrument makes but I am afraid I am not quite at the point where the noise I produce “relaxing”. I have been having a hard time understanding the website “uku-tabs”. I have been able to learn the chords and am mastering the transition as well as the strumming. I think I need to dedicate a little more time to the learning process as I get started. I do just find it repetitive so far so taking breaks has helped me stay engaged!

I am on task and keeping up to my learning plan so far!

I have found practising to be one of the most relaxing parts of my day and is a great tool to help me unwind. I also noticed the calming noise seems to relax my puppy, Albert. I looked up the effects of music on dogs and classical music seems to relax them. I was thinking also what would the effects be on a human if they only listened to one genre for a week? how would Classical affect them in comparison to Modern Rock?

More to come!

– Ari Stevens