Mr. Stevens' Portfolio

Live, Laugh, Learn

Blog: Inquiry Based Teacher

In EDCI the class took a field trip to go learn about an inquiry-based elementary teacher. Her name is Rebecca Bathurst-Hunt, her inquiry-based approach to learning has students learning building on their prior knowledge, their curiosities, and letting this guide the direction of the lesson. She does this through her use of asking these three questions; 1. What do you know, 2.what do you know, and 3. what are you curious about. I do like her approach to inquiry-based learning and the use of controlled inquiry, although I did not attend the field trip. I would be interested in looking at her book that discusses inquiry-based learning. I was looking at her Instagram (@Inquiryteacher ) and I found her classroom to be very aesthetically pleasing and I liked the use of natural materials as decoration and as teaching materials. I was unsure about her use of student images, but I assume she has parental consent. I would be curious to see her actually interacting with the students, and how they react to her teaching methods.

Here is an image that is featured on her Instagram:

Thanks Again!
– Ari Stevens